The number of credits you will need to graduate college will depend on the degree that you pursuing. Associate’s degrees take 60 total credits to complete, and bachelor’s degrees take 120 credits to complete, while there is more variance to the number of credits that graduate degrees require. Master’s degrees usually require the completion of 36 to 54 credits, while doctoral degrees require the completion of 90 to 120 credits and a dissertation.
Credits are usually awarded based on the amount of “credit hours” that each course entails. In a typical 16-week semester, classes will meet for one hour a week per credit hour. The majority of classes are three credit hours, which meet for three hours a week, and earning a passing grade will award you three credits for the completion of your degree.
Earning an undergraduate degree will require you to declare a major, and a large number of your credits will be in the area of your major. Different schools and programs require different amounts of credits to be taken within your area of study. To determine the exact amount of credits that it will take to earn your desired degree, you should check your desired school’s website.
For reference to some colleges with helpful and navigable websites, check out our list of the best college websites. If you cannot find the exact information for required credit hours of a particular program on a school’s website, we recommend that you contact their admissions department. For an example, let’s take a closer look at the top school on our list of best websites, Texas State University, and how many credits it will take to complete some of their programs.
Texas State University
Texas State University is a public research university that was established in 1899 and is located in San Marcos Texas. The school is broken down into 10 different colleges with over 50 schools and departments, which offer over 100 unique degrees and majors.
- The Bachelor of Science (BS) in Biochemistry degree requires the completion of 120 credit hours, 36 of which must come from advanced (300 or 400) courses in the field of Biology and Chemistry.
- The Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Computer Science degree requires the completion of 37 credit hours of computer science courses, 9 hours of mathematics, and 9 hours of advanced computer science electives.
- Earning a BA or BS in Psychology requires 36 credit hours of Psychology coursework, while BS students are required to minor in a scientific field with 9 advanced science-based hours.
- Master’s in Accounting degree seekers are required to complete 30 credit hours, while
- Master’s in Anthropology degree seekers need to complete 36 credit hours.
- Criminal Justice doctoral candidates are required to complete 39 hours of coursework, and a dissertation that comprises 12 hours of coursework.
Tuition at Texas State University comes out to $386 per credit hour for in-state residents and $794 for out-of-state residents. If you are looking to get a break on tuition, be sure to check out our guide on Finding and Applying for College Scholarships.
You may also find our ranking of the top 100 best online colleges helpful in your college search.