Yes, there are a variety of Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) that offer 100% online degree programs. For over a century HBCU colleges have provided the black community with quality educational experiences that allow students to engage in their classwork in safe, discrimination-free environments. Many HBCUs have increasingly offered online programs to accommodate students who are fully employed or have other priorities that require schedule flexibility. Advantages to taking 100% online degree programs include:
- Location flexibility, since students are never required to visit campus and will not be required to pay for room and board
- Asynchronous class scheduling, which allows students to watch lectures and complete classwork whenever it is most convenient for them, regardless of the schedule of their professors
- The ability to choose your own pace, as many online programs allow students to take accelerated class loads, or work as part time students if necessary
While there are many benefits to taking your classes online, there are simply some aspects of a traditional classroom education that cannot be replicated online. If you are still unsure about whether or not an online format is the right choice for you, be sure to check out our article that considers the Pros and Cons of Online College. If you have decided that a 100% online degree program offered by an HBCU college is the right choice, the next step will be to find the school that best meets your academic and professional expectations. Fortunately, we have compiled a list of the Top 20 Best Historically Black HBCU Colleges with Online Programs. Our methodology was based on:
- 50% Educational Quality, which takes into account a school’s accreditations, as well as Return on Investment (ROI) statistics, and graduate employment
- 50% Program Flexibility, which weighs the online program schedule accommodation, including asynchronous classes, the amount of online program options, and quality of online student support
A number of schools ranked highly based on our methodology. Some of the highest ranked HBCU colleges with 100% online degree programs include:
- Tuskegee University: Founded in 1881 by Booker T. Washington, Tuskeegee University was home to both George Washington Carver, and the Tuskegee Airmen. The university offers a variety of 100% online programs, including a wide variety of online Bachelor degrees, as well as online MS in Environmental Science and MS in Environmental Management.
- Bethune-Cookman University: A private university located in Daytona Beach, Florida Bethune-Cookman University has been providing quality educational experiences since 1904. The university offers a variety of online degree programs, including a BA in Interdisciplinary Studies, a BS in Accounting, and an MS in Criminal Justice Administration.
- Albany State University: Founded in 1903, Albany State University is the largest of the three public HBCUs in the state of Georgia. The university offers a variety of 100% online degree programs, including a BS in Health Sciences, a BA in Art History, and an MSE in Electric Engineering, among many others.
If any of the schools on our list of the theTop 20 HBCU Colleges with Online Programs interest you, be sure to visit their website to request more information.