Yes, there are many accredited and highly renowned institutions that offer Master of Computer Science degree programs in an online format. There is currently a significant skills gap between the amount of available computer science jobs, and the number of qualified candidates, and therefore a Master of Computer Science degree will qualify graduates for a variety of upper-level Information Technology jobs with stable employment and lucrative salaries. There are also many benefits to taking your classes in Computer Science in an online format, including:
- Schedule flexibility, since you can work on classes wherever and whenever it is most convenient, allowing you to maintain full-time employment if necessary.
- Saving money, since you will not have to pay for room, board, or commuting costs.
- The experience of taking classes in an online format improves your ability to navigate digital interfaces.
- Computer science curricula are complemented by online courses, as opposed to other academic areas that make more use of laboratories and hands-on experience.
For more information about the differences between taking classes online and on campus, check out our article that goes into detail about The Pros and Cons of Online College. If you are sure that you want to pursue a computer science master degree online, the next step is to consider your educational and professional priorities, as they will help you determine the program that is the best fit for you. Some aspects of degree programs to take into account are:
- Career Advancement, if you are currently working in an entry-level job in the field of computer science and are looking to obtain a specific promotion.
- Cost per credit hour, if you are concerned about the financial investment you will be making in your education, and want to ensure a quick return on investment.
- Industry Networking, if you are looking to make connections with professors and peers in a specific location, such as Silicon Valley.
- Technical Affluence, if you are mainly looking to increase computer science skills such as coding, archiving, or data analysis.
Once you have a good understanding of what you are looking for from an online Master’s of computer science program, you are ready to search for potential programs to apply to. To help you start your search, we have compiled a wide range of resources about Online Computer Science and IT Degree Programs. For a list of the top computer science schools with available online degrees, check out our list of the 30 Best Computer Science Schools with Online Degree Programs, and if any of the schools interest you, be sure to follow the links to their school website to request more information. Some of the top computer science schools that offer an online Master of Computer Science degree include:
- The University of Minnesota
- The University of Illinois
- The University of West Florida
- Old Dominion University
For a full list of resources for online computer science degrees, check out our page where we have compiled information about Online Computer Science and IT Degree Programs. If you find any programs that interest you, be sure to visit their school website and request more information about their program.